Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get my professional registration / licence to practice in Australia?

Most health professions in Australia are now regulated by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). You can visit their website for further information:

Geneva Healthcare provide full support through the professional licensing process.

If your profession is not regulated through AHPRA, Geneva Healthcare will be able to give you advice on this.

Do I require a visa to work in Australia?

With the exception of New Zealand, nationals of all countries require a visa to enter / work in Australia. New Zealand citizens are eligible to live in work in Australia and do not need to apply for a visa.

There are several ways you can gain entry to Australia to work. Options to work are as follows:

Working Holiday Visa

You can apply for a Working Holiday Visa if you are between the ages of 18 and 30. This option is not available to nationals of all countries so you will need to check if your country is on the eligibility list. This visa allows you to work in Australia for up to one year but only for 6 months with one employer and then you must move on to a different health board or hospital.


Hospitals will be prepared to sponsor you and your dependents/spouse etc to work in Australia for up to 4 years. This visa requires you to have secured a job offer as it is a visa organised by your employer.

Australian Residency

Permanent Residency (General Skilled Migration) can be done at any time in or outside of Australia. This visa may require you to have a skills assessment, and to be eligible you must be under 50. The skills assessment is often waived if you have already been living and working in Australia on another visa already and are supported by your employer in your application. There is no permanent residency available after 50 years of age.

What can I expect to earn in Australia?

Salaries for health professionals in Australia vary. In general, they are based on your years of experience post-graduation. States and Territories in Australia all have different salary agreements so, for example, what you earn may be different if you worked in New South Wales than if you worked in Victoria. Geneva Healthcare will advise you what salaries you are eligible for

Opinion Poll

When moving to Australia what are you most excited about

Submit View Results